Tuen Mun Hospital announcement on follow-up of fatal incident involving patient

The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for Tuen Mun Hospital (TMH) made the following announcement today (June 27) on the follow-up in regard to a fatal incident involving a patient:
     Following the announcement yesterday on the passing away of an end-stage renal failure patient, representatives of TMH this morning met with the family of the patient to further explain the incident.
     The TMH Deputy Hospital Chief Executive, Dr Mok Chun-keung, expressed deep condolences to the family at the meeting. He also extended apologies for the sudden death of the patient during hospitalisation. Dr Mok promised that TMH would fully co-operate with the Police in the investigation as well as render all necessary support to the family.
     The procedure of reporting to the Police was also discussed at the meeting. TMH stated that upon receiving the notification on Monday, the hospital management initiated an internal investigation immediately. The incident was subsequently referred to the Police and the Coroner for follow-up on Tuesday. Throughout the process, TMH has been communicating with the family.
     TMH representatives also explained to the family at the meeting on the surgical arrangements and related risk assessment. After multi-disciplinary consultation conducted on Sunday (June 24), the doctors from the Surgery, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care departments explained to the patient and family that performing an operation to treat the patient's perforation may lead to severe surgical complications in view of his age and end-stage renal failure chronic disease. Having considered the clinical assessment, both the hospital and the patient with his family opted for a conservative treatment approach. However, the patient continued to deteriorate and succumbed on the same night.
     TMH believed that the communication between the clinical staff and the patient and his family was suboptimal, which led to the displeasure of the patient and his family. TMH wished to express sincere apologies and deep condolences to the family again in this regard. The hospital will continue to closely communicate with the family and provide the necessary support. It will also fully co-operate with the Police in the investigation.
     As the case has already been referred to the Police and the Coroner for follow-up, TMH believes is not appropriate to make any further comment on the incident to prevent interference with the investigation.

Ends/Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Issued at HKT 20:17